Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wine on the High Seas

In the years since college I've slowly converted from beer drinker extraordinaire to wine aficionado. It started about the time I saw the movie Sideways, and progressed with some wine-loving neighbors who were continually inviting my husband and I out to our local wine bar. I now greatly prefer wine over beer. That's why I was so excited to see a news clip about a French shipping company that's transporting wine from France to Ireland and Britian via sailboat. What a novel idea... no carbon emissions, plus it's no big deal that it takes a little bit longer to transport because wine gets better with age. Genius!

Each bottle of wine that makes the trip is labeled: "Carried by sailing ship, a better deal for the planet."

After dropping off the wine, the ship makes the return trip to France with loads of crushed glass to be recycled into wine bottles. Can someone get me some eco-friendly soy cheese to go with my wind-powered green wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment